Re: [website poll] What impedes further Linux server adoptio…

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: [website poll] What impedes further Linux server adoption the most?

On Feb 23, 2004, at 9:33 AM, Craig White wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 08:53, Ted Gould wrote:
>> Well, after a week off caused by mailing list issues, here is a new
>> poll!
>>
>> What impedes further Linux server adoption the most?
>>
>> - I can't afford one
>> - Active Directory plug-n-play
>> - Not MSCE compatible
>> - Lack of combined Hardware-Software support contracts
>> - Lack of good sales to enterprise customers
>> - Unix heritage seen as out dated
>> - Needs government security certification
>> - Calendar server
>>
>> Last week's poll:
>>
>> Feature holding back desktop Linux adoption
>>
>> - USB dev. detect     **** (1)
>> - No MS Office        **** (1)
>> - No Outlooks/Notes   **** (1)
>> - Lack of multimed.   **************** (5)
>> - Too many distros    ******* (2)
>> - No one to blame     **** (1)
>> - No clue             **** (1)
>> - Other               ********************** (7)
>> - Games               ****************** (6)

>> Analysis: You know you've created a bad poll when most of the votes
>> are
>> 'other' or the entry that you added late ;)
> ---
> what is MSCE?
>
> I have to tell you that I don't agree with your choices as reasons on
> this or the last survey. This survey should include things like...
>
> - lack of local support firms/technicians
> - lack of trust / familiarity
> - lack of workgroup shared mail/calendar/contacts application
> - no one on staff knowledgable about maintaining server

Craig is onto something. While I appreciate Ted's efforts, I think the
questions would be better if Ted followed the Ruby Talk model and let
the questions be discussed for a week on the mailing list before they
go on the web site. You tend to get better questions that way.

I would point out that Linux has a few calendar servers. It just
doesn't have MS Exchange. Maybe the question should be rephrased as
"Not completely compatible with Exchange clients." I also thing it
should be clear whether BSD is considered as a competitor to Linux or
part of Linux for purposes of the survey.