Via C3 based computers revisited

Author: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Via C3 based computers revisited
In a message dated 2/8/2004 10:31:06 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
writes:
1. Does anyone have any experience with tiger direct rebates?
2. Does anyone have experience with SiS 635 based mobo's under linux?

                                  .-.

NOBODY has ever said any nice words about Tiger.

I've used 735 boards extensively, not 635. The integrated sound is a bit of
a PITA, but newer systems are probably better than my old Slackwares were. I
just added on a $12 sound card because I didn't like the integrated sound
anyway (of course, that was with a very old 735 board; I understand later ones
were improved)

If you want a cheap offer, I'd reccomend the $40 special Fry's frequently
runs. Much better performance (Duron 1600, and it's out the door for less money
than the pre-rebate price of this monstrosity (from what I heard, the
processor is SOLDERED!). Again, it may be an issue with sound from what I hear (I
messed up my partitions pretty badly, and will reinstall when a 2.6 distro comes
out, so I can't tell)