Via C3 based computers revisited

Author: Kurt Granroth
Subject: Via C3 based computers revisited
On Feb 8, 2004, at 11:10 AM, wrote:
> In a message dated 2/8/2004 10:31:06 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
>  writes:
> 1. Does anyone have any experience with tiger direct rebates?
> 2. Does anyone have experience with SiS 635 based mobo's under linux?
>                                   .-.

> NOBODY has ever said any nice words about Tiger.
>
> I've used 735 boards extensively, not 635. The integrated sound is a
> bit of
> a PITA, but newer systems are probably better than my old Slackwares
> were. I
> just added on a $12 sound card because I didn't like the integrated
> sound
> anyway (of course, that was with a very old 735 board; I understand
> later ones
> were improved)
>
> If you want a cheap offer, I'd reccomend the $40 special Fry's
> frequently
> runs. Much better performance (Duron 1600, and it's out the door for
> less money
> than the pre-rebate price of this monstrosity (from what I heard, the
> processor is SOLDERED!). Again, it may be an issue with sound from
> what I hear (I
> messed up my partitions pretty badly, and will reinstall when a 2.6
> distro comes
> out, so I can't tell)

I've bought a decent amount of stuff from Tiger through the years
(although, not in the past couple of years) and I never had a problem
with them. The prices were always good and they shipped what they said
they would. Maybe they've gone downhill in the last two years since
I've dealt with them but at one time, they were my favorite place to
buy computer components.

Also, I agree that the Duron would offer quite a bit more performance
for the money and if that's what you are going for, then that's a far
better deal. However, if you are going for a silent or low-power
system, then the Via is a much better choice. I had a Via C3 that I
was able to run with just a heatsink. Compared to the fans on my Duron
and Athlon based computers that typically sounded like aircraft taking
off, the Via system was whisper quiet.