Switching to Cox

Author: Craig White
Subject: Switching to Cox
On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 07:46, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> technomage said:
> > better take a look at your logs. I see nothing after 5 november (save
> > for the instances where your domain is down for maintenance). I had
> > major problems when I first started using cox HSI (then it was under
> > @home). after the bugs got worked out things mostly settled down....
> > I've had a total of 9 outages lasting longer than 30 minutes in the
> > last 2 years. I'd say thats damned good uptime.
>
> It's all relative to your situation. I have not experienced more than one
> 30 minute outage in the few months that I have had cox, but I know that
> the service goes down several times a day in small 3 to 10 minute
> increments. For me that is less than optimal and I don't consider it
> "damned good uptime".
>
> It isn't bad mind you and I'm not complaining about it, but I don't think
> it's fair to say it is rock solid uptime.

---
let's face it - it's a bang for the buck thing.

If you want speed & guaranteed QOS, you can't beat a digital point
connection like a T1 but that of course comes at a much higher price.
Considering that the only policing of bandwidth that Cox bothers with is
to stomp well known port traffic such as SMTP/HTTP/NETBIOS and it is
port scanner paradise - the usually very fast download and the
reasonable 256K upload BW is fairly priced at $ 39 per month.

The original topic was about switching from Sprint Broadband to Cox -
Sprint allows you to run port 25/80 stuff but the upload speed rarely
got any better than 32Kbps

Craig