Switching to Cox

Author: technomage
Subject: Switching to Cox
On Tuesday 02 December 2003 05:50 pm, Steve Holmes wrote:
> I'm thinking of switching from Sprint BroadBand to Cox for no real
> reason other than to save a few bucks a month and increase download
> speeds. This does bring up some questions however.
>
> What steps should a linux user like me take to make the hookup run
> smoothly? I do know they use DHCP and we do have dhcpc available
> here.

not much of one. the linux dhcp client (be it dhcpcd, pump, et al) should work
fine with the setup.

> Since they use dynamic IP's and I have a registered domain, what are
> some good recommendations for dynamic DNS services, like DNS to Go and
> such?

I use dnydns (aka members.ath.cx). I don't have a registered hostname, but
their services can handle that without too many problems.

> What are people doing about the mail thing? I'm referring to the
> blockage of port 25 and the forcing of users to use Cox's SMTP server
> for all outgoing mail.

redirect the ports and use something a little higher up the chanin (above
1024).

> All and all, is it worth it? The price ain't bad and Sprint is still
> OK for me but I'm looking to reduce my monthly expense if possible
> without giving up much:).

well, you probably won't be giving up much. just be careful about the services
you have in your startup scripts. also, having iptables in place with default
policy DENY is not a bad idea.

I've been on cox for a better part of almost 4 years. they are substantially
better than DSL (through Qworst) and their uptime is nice (better than
99.992%).

> Thanks in advance for any ideas.

your welcome. :)

Mage