Happy Medium

Author: Jason Pfingstmann
Subject: Happy Medium
No, this post is not about a Joyous Psychic. ;)

I am trying to reach a happy medium between Windows and Linux. I like to
game and I do, like many others, require the use of Windows software
frequently and with 100% compatibility - more than wine could provide. I
love Linux's stability and ability to control the system, ease of use,
etc, etc... I need DirectX capabilities for games and don't want to have
to reboot to play games. On the other hand I would like Linux stability
and low overhead when I don't want to run Windows apps. The only solution
I have come up with that sacrifices some stability is to run my Gentoo
install through VMWare. This works fine, but the constant "You must
reboot your computer..blah..blah..blah" in Windows makes this arrangement
impractical. So I guess my question is this, is there any way to run
Windows over Linux and still have DirectX capability (not to mention
decent speed for gaming)? VMWare and Win4Lin both strike out in this
field. WineX is a "kludge" of a program with infrequent updates compared
to 99% of Linux software (not worth the $5/month subscription if you ask
me) - not to mention incompatible with 75% of the games I play.

So, I'm sure that many other Linux users have had the same dilemma and
have hopefully found a happy medium. I would like to hear any ideas you
have and what solution others have come up with.

Jason Pfingstmann