need a little COX inside info--rdesktop or vnc? <--humor to…

Author: Craig White
Subject: need a little COX inside info--rdesktop or vnc? <--humor too
On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 09:45, Nathan England wrote:

> Am Mittwoch 29 Oktober 2003 06:42 vormittags schrieb Chris Gehlker:
>

> Yeah, you're right. Cox probably won't care.
> I still think this is the proper time for advocacy. Even if only telling them
> to support linux after you get off the phone. I don't care who the company
> is, if the market wants it, they will follow. But if we keep our mouths shut
> for the sake of simplicity and helping the poor guy on the other end of the
> phone, they will never know what the market wants...
>
> Now when you call and tell them the bobcat cut the cable, and they ask if the
> light is on, I would ask for the manager.
>
> My theory is, if they are tech support, they need to know what they are doing.
> NOT reading from a book.
>
> I'm an out of work geek. I would love to get a tech support job so I can
> support my family, instead of talking to these morons who can only read from
> the book! Instead I deliver pizza. Because some moron who has no clue got my
> job.
>
> If I have to jump through their hoops to get something accomplished and it
> takes all day, I'll do it. I don't enjoy working with a tech who is not a
> tech, only someone reading from a book. It insults me that they hired that
> guy, and probably passed my resume up.
>
> <sorry for my rant. this just got me onto an irritating subject because I
> deliver pizza... lol>

-----
I hate to say this but they don't want tech support people to know
anything - they want them to follow scripted procedure and maybe have a
very small percentage of people that have a greater knowledge of the
systems for elevated support needs.

As for Linux support - statistics have Microsoft weighing in at 92% of
desktop market and Macintosh at 3% and Linux at 2% respectively - though
we all know that there is no way for them to adequately determine the
Linux desktop percentages since all i386/586/686 hardware for the
desktop automatically comes with Windows from any of the major labels -
even if you tell them that you're going to install Linux.

Craig