need a little COX inside info--rdesktop or vnc? <--humor to…

Author: Nathan England
Subject: need a little COX inside info--rdesktop or vnc? <--humor too

Am Mittwoch 29 Oktober 2003 06:42 vormittags schrieb Chris Gehlker:

Yeah, you're right. Cox probably won't care.
I still think this is the proper time for advocacy. Even if only telling th=
em=20
to support linux after you get off the phone. I don't care who the company=
=20
is, if the market wants it, they will follow. But if we keep our mouths shu=
t=20
for the sake of simplicity and helping the poor guy on the other end of the=
=20
phone, they will never know what the market wants...

Now when you call and tell them the bobcat cut the cable, and they ask if t=
he=20
light is on, I would ask for the manager.

My theory is, if they are tech support, they need to know what they are doi=
ng.
NOT reading from a book.

I'm an out of work geek. I would love to get a tech support job so I can=20
support my family, instead of talking to these morons who can only read fro=
m=20
the book! Instead I deliver pizza. Because some moron who has no clue got m=
y=20
job.

If I have to jump through their hoops to get something accomplished and it=
=20
takes all day, I'll do it. I don't enjoy working with a tech who is not a=20
tech, only someone reading from a book. It insults me that they hired that=
=20
guy, and probably passed my resume up.

<sorry for my rant. this just got me onto an irritating subject because I=20
deliver pizza... lol>

nathan

> On Oct 29, 2003, at 1:26 AM, Nathan England wrote:
> > I don't know about that.
> > The more people that tell them they are running linux the better.
> > If I call and someone says they don't support linux and won't help me,
> > then I
> > either tell them to tell their manager to support linux, or I threaten
> > cancel whatever it may be if they don't help me.
> >
> > I think if more people said they used linux, instead of emulating
> > windows int
> > heir heads so the tech guy could do his job, we would be better off.
> > Somewhere a mgr. is talking to his techs and eventually a tech will
> > say, 'you
> > know, a lot of people are using linux...'
> > and others will follow.
>
> I don't know about that. This is Cox. As far as I can tell, they have
> a monopoly in the cable modem game. They probably don't care. I'll bet
> their Windows support is lousy as well. When call my small ISP they
> are very ready to support Linux. But I use DSL and they know they need
> to work at keeping my business.

=2D --=20

Nathan England

nathan at the-arcanum.org
jabber id:

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
=2D --Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

Todays Fortune:

Dentist, n.:
    A Prestidigitator who, putting metal in one's mouth, pulls
coins out of one's pockets.