lots a newbie questions.

Author: Steve Smith
New-Topics: RH Enterprise (was: lots a newbie questions.)
Subject: lots a newbie questions.
der.hans wrote:
> Am 12. Oct, 2003 schwätzte Sylvie so:
>

>>I have a Pentium II, 400 Mghz, I want to install a linux distro on and
>>then Oracle 9i on top of it.
>>I want to use something other than United Linux. Any suggestions from the
>>troops out there?
>

> The official distros, I think, are the enterprise distros from Red Hat and
> SuSE. You might also look at Miracle Linux ( notice the logo similarity and
> Oracle muckity-mucks on the board for Miracle Linux ).
>
> I'm not sure RH ES is available for download.

I read (iirc) that RH ES is based on RH 7.2. I know that the source RPMs
for ES are available for download (but no iso images). One might "roll
their own" RH ES by starting with 7.2 as a build platform, integrating
the ES RPMs then adding the erratta updates -- I don't know for sure
that the erratta are available for download but I'd be surprised if
they're not.

Sounds like it'd keep a person busy for awhile - I'd check around if
someone's already done that or published a better procedure.

> 9i will probably work on most any platform, but you'll likely have to do
> some research to find the secrets to getting it to work on consumer distros.
> Red Hat probably has the most user provided docs.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

Steve

I finally got my stinking email accounts and spam problem under control
again. For the moment.