RH Enterprise (was: lots a newbie questions.)

Author: Alex LeDonne
Subject: RH Enterprise (was: lots a newbie questions.)

--- Steve Smith <> wrote:
> der.hans wrote:

[snip]
> > The official distros, I think, are the enterprise distros from Red
> Hat and
> > SuSE. You might also look at Miracle Linux ( notice the logo
> similarity and
> > Oracle muckity-mucks on the board for Miracle Linux ).
> >
> > I'm not sure RH ES is available for download.
>
> I read (iirc) that RH ES is based on RH 7.2. I know that the source
> RPMs
> for ES are available for download (but no iso images). One might
> "roll
> their own" RH ES by starting with 7.2 as a build platform,
> integrating
> the ES RPMs then adding the erratta updates -- I don't know for sure
> that the erratta are available for download but I'd be surprised if
> they're not.

For reference, from dell's linux-poweredge list (specifically,
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-September/015734.html
)

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/
http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/

> Sounds like it'd keep a person busy for awhile - I'd check around if
> someone's already done that or published a better procedure.

Here's a reference from that list which indicates that, for now, it
looks like no one has gone through the time and trouble to make freely
available ISOs:

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-September/015883.html

[snip]