Cox Cable blocking port 80 and scans

Author: Mike Starke
Subject: Cox Cable blocking port 80 and scans
On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 03:28:00PM -0700, Bryce C wrote:
/_The nearly static IP has been my experience too. In fact, I just set up
/_my fw to use this static IP and every once in a long while (weekly I
/_think), I run my version of a dhcp client just to let them know I'm
/_still alive as they do stop service somewhere along the way if you
/_haven't "pinged" them.
/_FYI, the reason I use a static IP setup is so I can use the DNS servers
/_I want and not have them overwritten by the DHCP server's values. *&^*@
/_DNS servers, never updating and whatnot.

1.5 years: Same IP. Been staticially assigned the whole time (except the initial
fetch of an IP). Never run 'dhclient' on my OpenBSD box. Cox has been very
good to me (with the exception of shutting down port 25 after about 1 year of service).

I do know LDAP is open (use it daily), and last I checked (~2 weeks ago) https (443) is
open.

my 2 cents
-mike