Cox Cable blocking port 80 and scans

Author: Kyle Faber
Subject: Cox Cable blocking port 80 and scans
On Friday 19 September 2003 1:04 pm, roland ibbetson wrote:
> Thanks for the information guys. There are always many ways to fix or
> skirt an issue like this. I don't really want to pay for the business =

line
> although they won't give me a static ip with the residential so I may h=

ave
> to. So, excluding the new business line what would be the best solutio=

n to
> this problem? And can I block their scans or mask what I'm doing to av=

oid
> trouble with the #$%&! pigs(cox cable)? Thanks for all your help!

=09There's nothing you can do about their blocks. They are implemented w=
ay=20
upstream (another response had suggested it was in the cable modem, not s=
o). =20
As for the scans, you can always implement so many IPTables rules so that=
it=20
looks like there is nothing on that IP at all (drop all packets not from =
the=20
internal network) but depending on your level of paranoia and you may=20
experience usabilty issues. =20

=09If you are really serious about having your own 'standard port' server=
s, I=20
would consider looking for another internet service provider. There are =
many=20
DSL providers in town (since Qwest does not have an ISP monopoly as Cox d=
oes)=20
who can and will provide you with a static IP and unfiltered and unblocke=
d=20
internet access. Many even support Linux. Trouble with DSL is that it h=
as a=20
far smaller service footprint than cable does, and it is appreciably slow=
er. =20
YMMV

***
Since I am posting this from work, I'll make this work related and say E=
MR is=20
one of those ISPs.
***

--=20
Kyle Faber
Account Manager
EMR Internet

623-581-0842 voice
623-582-9499 fax

UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the United States and=
=20
other countries.