AntiVirus

Author: der.hans
Subject: AntiVirus
Am 26. Aug, 2003 schw=E4tzte Craig Brooksby so:

> You are now re-entering the newbie zone:
>
> I jumped off XP and onto Linux just as the latest worms hit Win32
> systems. As a newbie, I'm thinking "viruses don't affect Linux
> systems." Right? :-) But then I see lots of people willing to take my
> money for Linux versions of their AV software.

As others said, it's for mail servers that run on GNU/Linux. They're still
for protecting m$ boxen.

I consider viruses and worms two different things. Viruses are things that
come in via mail and web clients. They are non-existent for GNU/Linux. That
could change, but you'll hear about any clients that are that stupid on thi=
list and know to avoid them :).

Worms take advantage of an exploit in a service and are self-replicating.
The worms isn't the problem, it's only a symptom. The problem is the
security hole.

Get security updates on a regular basis.

We should add 'securing your dist' sections to the web site. Anyone wanna
volunteer for RH, SuSE, Mandrake, etc? I'll write up something for debian i=
the next couple of weeks ( feel free to beat me to it ).

To find out which services you have running try the following command:

netstat -an | grep LISTEN | less

You probably don't need anything other than your web server running.

ciao,

der.hans