AntiVirus

Author: Craig Brooksby
Subject: AntiVirus
You are now re-entering the newbie zone:

I jumped off XP and onto Linux just as the latest worms hit Win32
systems. As a newbie, I'm thinking "viruses don't affect Linux
systems." Right? :-) But then I see lots of people willing to take my
money for Linux versions of their AV software.

I know that the subject of computer security spawns careers and books
and research -- if the only advice is something hardcore like "hire a
security expert to monitor your system 24/7 and do periodic audits" then
it's not going to happen. I'm just looking for practical advice as to
what a single Linux workstation hooked to the internet (via cox) ought
to do. (Yes I do have Apache running on 8080) (please don't hack me! --
that's not a very effective defense)

Recommendations as to antivirus software for my Linux box? Remember
keyword "newbie." FYI on my XP box I subscribed to NOD32 antivirus by
Eset Systems, Ltd (Australian, I think) and it was outstanding. Highly
recommend it!

Thanks, and now returning you to your regularly scheduled program.