RCS mini-guide

Author: der.hans
Subject: RCS mini-guide
Am 18. Aug, 2003 schw=E4tzte Josef Lowder so:

> When I tried to visit the site https://www.LuftHans.com/unix/
> I got the attached warning message (which I have never seen
> before). What does it mean "... may not be trustworthy"?

It means I haven't paid protection money to Verisign.

Browsers depend on signatures from root authorities. Verisign bought out
their major competition and have setup a monopoly. They claim it isn't a
monopoly because you can choose either company and they apparently believe
that being under the same ownership doesn't count towards being a monopoly.

Part of the problem there is that Verisign's competition was much less
expensive. They still are. When you complaing that it's taken 6 months for
them to do 5 minutes worth of work the less expensive company says you
should've gone with Verisign.

Even if there were competition the whole thing really doesn't bring any
added security. They don't do much verification and they don't certify that
the people running the server aren't thieves.

Self-signed certs do run more 'man in the middle' risk, but no more so than
using a non-secure web server.

Accept it if you want to look at my stuff. It's not like I'm requiring
cookies or something as dastardly :).

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  Wer bereit ist, grundlegende Freiheiten aufzugeben, um sich
#  kurzfristige Sicherheit zu verschaffen, der hat weder Freiheit
#  noch Sicherheit verdient.  --  Benjamin Franklin  (1706 - 1790)