GTK2 Themes in KDE3?

Author: Derek Neighbors
New-Topics: GNOME vs. KDE Developer Philosophy (WAS: Re: GTK2 Themes in KDE3?)
Subject: GTK2 Themes in KDE3?
Ted Gould wrote:

|the color can help with. A developer can just add the option, or they
|can look at the source of the problem and make it 'just work' in those
|situations.

The problem is gnome doesn't just work. The problem is they are
trying to "idiot" proof it. Opinions vary. For example I like small
clean fonts. My co-worker likes large big fonts. So how does a
developer solve this? Medium fonts? Some things you just have to be
able to configure.

I have no problem with them going to the "just works" principle. They
should look at the KDE Control Center. It "just works".

|I think that if you talk to people who have switched from Linux to Mac
|OS X, they've done it because Mac OS X 'just works'. They don't have to
|configure it. You could argue that not allowing the user to change the
|setting is treating them as stupid, or you could argue that it's letting
|them do better things like they're job :)

I agree. Assuming that the defaults let them do their job. In GNOME
that wasn't the case. It DIDN'T work.
So I guess, all in all, I'd prefer to have my computer 'just work' than

|If you'd write up what was happening with GConf and what things you were
|having to change on the command line I'd be happy to forward it to the
|development lists.

Seriously if I had to write it up, it would take weeks. I have
submitted numerous bug reports. Frankly the number one reason I
switched. I was sick of the developer attitudes around GNOME. End of
Story. I was sick of the "we are the superior Gods if you don't like
it F*** OFF". I will take my business and donations to someone who
doesn't have an attitude. Hello KDE. :) That is not a blanket
statement, a lot of GNOME developers are good and I have relationships
with. I hope them the best.

- -Derek