Reinstall, Not Upgrade

Author: Craig Brooksby
Subject: Reinstall, Not Upgrade
> ...As for upgrading, its always something I had avoided,
> used a redhat upgrade years ago and then decided that
> I would not attempt upgrades again. So reinstall the
> newer version was really the only option....
> Craig

Question from the newbie zone: I am a RH9 user of a month or so;
comfortable enough now to give my WinXP box to my son. So I plan to rely
upon Linux for a long time. (PLUG was a big factor in that feeling of
comfort!) It's a desktop system.

Are there any things I should be doing NOW (or avoid doing NOW) to make
that eventual upgrade or reinstall easier? (I'm making this up now,
but) things like "make sure all your personal files are stored under
/home/username" or "if you install software, make sure you.." or "don't
ever change permissions on these folders..." I guess I'm talking about
principles of good housekeeping / common errors newbies make, that would
come back with a vengeance when I update later...

If any advice, pls reply. If not, have a good day...