Reinstall, Not Upgrade

Author: Robert Ambrose
Subject: Reinstall, Not Upgrade
FWIW,

In general one of my goals when installing systems is nice, quite systems.
Fresh installs further this goal better than upgrades.

I wrote a perl script a few years ago that helps doing upgrades. This
script is meant for RH, but since it's fairly trivial script to begin
with, it shouldn't be hard to adapt to others distros that do package
management. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something built in that
does this already (this is the story of my life...).

This script uses the rpm -Va command to do two things. First is to build
a list of known RPM cataloged files and second is to print filenames of
files known to RPM which have been modified. Next it does a find for
every regular file on the system. If the filename does not exist in the
list of RPM files, it is printed. This gives me a Q&D list of files I
will want to have handy while putting together the new install. Of course
I also do a complete backup of the entire system. Or most likely, we are
putting in new hardware at the same time, so the old system is left in
place. The point is I get a list a files that either have been modified
or are unknown to RPM.

I also isolate the home directories and application data in their own file
systems, which makes backups and migrations easier.

My $.002 worth,
rna