DLT and Debian

Author: der.hans
Subject: DLT and Debian
Am 01. Aug, 2003 schw=E4tzte so:

> I tried the dd command although I got a error message: "/dev/st0': Input/=

output error"

> dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/st0 count=3D1 bs=3D32768
> 1+0 records in
> 1+0 records out
> dd: closing output file `/dev/st0': Input/output error

Does status show the tape as readonly?

The previous status you posted didn't.

What kernel are you using? ( uname -a )

> Is it possibly because the scsi id of the tape appears to be the same as
> the scsi card. Although there are multiple scsi cards on the machine so

How does the ID of the tape drive appear to be the same as the ID of the
card? If it was you wouldn't be able to see the drive :).

In /proc/scsi there are subdirectories for each of the controllers. The
filenames in the controller subdirectories are numbers reflecting which SCS=
controller it is.

> I am not sure if the tape drive is on the same card that has scsi id 6;
> although it appears to be.

Do you only have one SCSI controller on the box?

The tape drive should generally not be on the same controller as the hard
drives you're backing up.

> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: DELL     Model: 1x6 U2W SCSI BP  Rev: 5.35
>   Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi3 Channel: 01 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: DLT7000          Rev: 2561
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

scsi3 means it's the 4th SCSI controller. Not sure where the first three
are. Maybe it's due to loading the driver, unloading the drive, loading the
driver, unloading the driver, etc. Channel 01 means the controller has
multiple SCSI chips in it and you're on the second chip. The SCSI ID for th=
tape drive is 6. The controller is normally ID 7. LUN is important if you
have multiple devices that all share one SCSI ID.

grep "Target IDs" /proc/scsi/*/3

That will show you which SCSI IDs are in use on that controller and show yo=
which ID the controller is using.

grep "Target IDs" /proc/scsi/*/?

That'll get ID info for all of your SCSI controllers.

> Host: scsi3 Channel: 02 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD0 RAID5 34556R Rev: 1.01
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Your RAID device is on a different SCSI chip on the same controller as the
tape drive. I'm not sure if that's an issue. They should have their own
bandwidth. As long as the controller can handle both chips getting maxed ou=
you should be fine. I haven't done any testing with this type of scenerio,
so I'm not certain. Controller docs might let you know.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  The Internet is the front line of the battle
#  to protect our freedom. -- Nathaniel Borenstein