DLT and Debian

Author: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: DLT and Debian
I rebooted and determined the DLT drive is on the 2nd controller on the R=
AID perc 3/di card it is the only item on the 2nd controller and it is on=
scsi id 6.

The problem was that the active terminator had been pressed on (at the fa=
ctory) and had fallen off actually the terminator was permanently attache=
d but it had become disconnected. So I replaced the scsi cable and them =
the dd command worked great. =

Thanks goes out to all the people who read the post and provided some gre=
at insight. =

Jim

> =

> From: "der.hans" <>
> Date: 2003/08/02 Sat PM 03:19:56 EDT
> Subject: Re: Re: DLT and Debian
> =

> Am 01. Aug, 2003 schw=E4tzte so:
> =

> > I tried the dd command although I got a error message: "/dev/st0': In=

put/output error"

> > dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/st0 count=3D1 bs=3D32768
> > 1+0 records in
> > 1+0 records out
> > dd: closing output file `/dev/st0': Input/output error
> =

> Does status show the tape as readonly?
> =

> The previous status you posted didn't.
> =

> What kernel are you using? ( uname -a )
> =

> > Is it possibly because the scsi id of the tape appears to be the same=

as
> > the scsi card. Although there are multiple scsi cards on the machine =

so
> =

> How does the ID of the tape drive appear to be the same as the ID of th=

> card? If it was you wouldn't be able to see the drive :).
> =

> In /proc/scsi there are subdirectories for each of the controllers. The=

> filenames in the controller subdirectories are numbers reflecting which=

SCSI
> controller it is.
> =

> > I am not sure if the tape drive is on the same card that has scsi id =

6;
> > although it appears to be.
> >

> =

> Do you only have one SCSI controller on the box?
> =

> The tape drive should generally not be on the same controller as the ha=

rd
> drives you're backing up.
> =

> > Attached devices:
> > Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
> >   Vendor: DELL     Model: 1x6 U2W SCSI BP  Rev: 5.35
> >   Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> > Host: scsi3 Channel: 01 Id: 06 Lun: 00
> >   Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: DLT7000          Rev: 2561
> >   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> =

> scsi3 means it's the 4th SCSI controller. Not sure where the first thre=

> are. Maybe it's due to loading the driver, unloading the drive, loading=

the
> driver, unloading the driver, etc. Channel 01 means the controller has
> multiple SCSI chips in it and you're on the second chip. The SCSI ID fo=

r the
> tape drive is 6. The controller is normally ID 7. LUN is important if y=

ou
> have multiple devices that all share one SCSI ID.
> =

> grep "Target IDs" /proc/scsi/*/3
> =

> That will show you which SCSI IDs are in use on that controller and sho=

w you
> which ID the controller is using.
> =

> grep "Target IDs" /proc/scsi/*/?
> =

> That'll get ID info for all of your SCSI controllers.
> =

> > Host: scsi3 Channel: 02 Id: 00 Lun: 00
> >   Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD0 RAID5 34556R Rev: 1.01
> >   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> =

> Your RAID device is on a different SCSI chip on the same controller as =

the
> tape drive. I'm not sure if that's an issue. They should have their own=

> bandwidth. As long as the controller can handle both chips getting maxe=

d out
> you should be fine. I haven't done any testing with this type of scener=

io,