sound in Debian

Author: jtannenba
Subject: sound in Debian
The perms on hdd are 660, for data, the fstab file
has user on it so a user can automount the cd for
a data read, but sound mounts(???). So putting in
the disk group got by the 660 perms for now. I was
just wondering how RedHat did it, I didnt have to
do anything for a user to use sound on it.

Joe
--- "der.hans" <> wrote:
> Am 18. Dec, 2001 schwätzte jtannenba so:
>
> > ok, put everyone in audio group..still, users
> could
> > not
> > use cdrom..Had to put everyone in the disk group
> > also??
> > This doesn't seem right. What did I miss?
>
> You're trying to read from /dev/hdc ( or /dev/hdb or
> something ), which is
> in the disk group. Look at user and group ownership
> of the devices being
> used.
>
> /dev/cdrom ( whatever it's pointing to )
> /dev/audio
> /dev/dsp
>
> I don't know ( at this time of morning ) if there's
> anything else you talk
> to for audio. You should only need read permissions
> for the cdrom, but write
> perms for the audio devices.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> # http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/
> http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
> # Magic is science unexplained. - der.hans

=====
JT and NE Tannenbaum