sound in Debian

Author: Bill Warner
Subject: sound in Debian
--=-e78TG348zpKNiWHVReRV

Redhat sets up permissions as wide open on most userlevel devices. This
does make it easier to set up but if you are in a multi user environment
then other people can send sounds and stuff to you speakers.

When you have a home network with several xterminals like I have it can
become a problem with other users running sound programs and it comming
out on my main desktop :)

Bill Warner

On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 19:48, jtannenba wrote:
> The perms on hdd are 660, for data, the fstab file
> has user on it so a user can automount the cd for
> a data read, but sound mounts(???). So putting in=20
> the disk group got by the 660 perms for now. I was
> just wondering how RedHat did it, I didnt have to
> do anything for a user to use sound on it.
>=20
> Joe
> --- "der.hans" <> wrote:
> > Am 18. Dec, 2001 schw=E4tzte jtannenba so:
> >=20
> > > ok, put everyone in audio group..still, users
> > could
> > > not
> > > use cdrom..Had to put everyone in the disk group
> > > also??
> > > This doesn't seem right. What did I miss?
> >=20
> > You're trying to read from /dev/hdc ( or /dev/hdb or
> > something ), which is
> > in the disk group. Look at user and group ownership
> > of the devices being
> > used.
> >=20
> > /dev/cdrom ( whatever it's pointing to )
> > /dev/audio
> > /dev/dsp
> >=20
> > I don't know ( at this time of morning ) if there's
> > anything else you talk
> > to for audio. You should only need read permissions
> > for the cdrom, but write
> > perms for the audio devices.
> >=20
> > ciao,
> >=20
> > der.hans
> > --=20
> > # http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/ =20
> > http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
> > # Magic is science unexplained. - der.hans
> >=20
>=20
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> JT and NE Tannenbaum
>
>=20
> or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

--=20
Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original. Any other use of this email is prohibited.

--=-e78TG348zpKNiWHVReRV

--=-e78TG348zpKNiWHVReRV--