e-Smith

Author: Charlie Bullen
Subject: e-Smith
Hi, I got into linux via a gateway microserver, which was actually a cobalt
qube. I really liked it but became sort of bored as there is not much that
can be done with it other than what it comes with. Since them I have been
using various linux distros for both desktop and server, primarily Suse
andRedHat. I always wanted to be able to duplicate all the cube functions
using a normal distro, but my linux abilities are not totally there yet.

Then I stumbled upon e-smith which duplicates all the microserver functions
and more. I have 3 working installations, one at home
which I am using as a firewall, proxy server, samba server, print server and
outgoing l server, also I use it as a test web and mail server. This on a
dialup connection. It works great although I have been able to break it
whith a lot of effort. I had used the backup program that comes with it and
did a new clean install and a resore and it was back to the way it was
before. This one I have upgraded to version 5, which took all of my previous
seting and kept them in the new installation.

I also have 2 production machines, both using DSL connections. One has 4
userers. All they use it for is a firewall/proxy server. The other
installation has 15 users. Currently we are using it as a firewall/proxy
server, a samba server and a VPN server using PopTop pptp, which comes with
it. I administer all of the boxes using ssh, you can easily turn telnet,
ftp, web and VPN on and off. This week we are going to put up a low volume
web site and start running our own mail server off of this machine.

I'm real happy so far.

Regards,

Charlie