sound in Debian

Author: jtannenba
Subject: sound in Debian
Chris,
I have the sb module, AWE-WAVE module and opl3 modules
loaded. loading the above also loaded the
soundcore(?) and Oss sound drivers(?). I can cat a
.wav file
and get it to play (cat *.wav>/dev/audio) but, the
cd player and mixer in Gnome won't make a noise.
Gnome is using esd which I believe is esound. Any
other
necessities needed?

The way debian gens a modules.conf, I'm not sure it is
100% correct for the options, etc.

I am guessing it is ok since on boot up it says
"Soundblaster found ok" and "AWE found ok" and "opl13
found ok" and cat /dev/sndstat shows the devices.

Joe

--- Chris Cowan <> wrote:
> Just a few things to look at, make sure that your sb
> card driver is
> complied in your kernel or as a module. Also you'll
> want to apt-get
> esound, esound-clients, sox, gnome-audio,
> gnome-media and xmms.
>
> This should get you closer...
>
> Chris
>
> On Sat, 2001-12-15 at 20:12, jtannenba wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Well, I loaded Debian and have most things up. I
> have
> > a couple of issues I would appreciate some help
> with
> > from the Debian guru's out there:
> >
> > 1. I tried to configure sound ( have sb pnp ). I
> can
> > cat a .wav file to /dev/audio ok, but nothing else
>
> > makes a sound. The mixer has nothing muted. I
> must
> > be missing something here. It was working fine in
>
> > RH 6.1
> >
> > 2. The nic (linksys lne10/100 Tulip) works fine
> when
> > cold booted from power up but does not work when
> soft
> > booting from winbloz98.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > Joe
> >
> > =====
> > JT and NE Tannenbaum

> > Check out Yahoo! Shopping and Yahoo! Auctions for
> all of
> > your unique holiday gifts! Buy at
> http://shopping.yahoo.com
> > or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com