sound in Debian

Author: der.hans
Subject: sound in Debian
Am 16. Dec, 2001 schwätzte jtannenba so:

> I have the sb module, AWE-WAVE module and opl3 modules

I've got

sb                      7808   1
sb_lib                 32288   0  [sb]
uart401                 6048   0  [sb_lib]
sound                  52428   1  [sb_lib uart401]
soundcore               3556   5  [sb_lib sound]
isa-pnp                27336   0  [sb]

This is for an SB clone.

> loaded. loading the above also loaded the
> soundcore(?) and Oss sound drivers(?). I can cat a
> .wav file
> and get it to play (cat *.wav>/dev/audio) but, the

Weird that .wav works, but other stuff doesn't. I presume it's not
permissions errors because .wav is working and you're not getting errors.
Then again, mp3 and ogg require /dev/dsp, I think. Do you have one? Do you
have perms to write to it?

Are you getting any related errors in your log files?

> cd player and mixer in Gnome won't make a noise.
> Gnome is using esd which I believe is esound. Any
> other
> necessities needed?

gnome using esd doesn't mean the cd player is, but it should give you an
error if that's the problem. Try some command line apps like ogg123 or
mpg123. xmms and grip also give decent error messages ( except when xmms
has http probs ).

> The way debian gens a modules.conf, I'm not sure it is
> 100% correct for the options, etc.

I put sb in /etc/modules to make sure it comes up when booting. That doesn't
sound like your prob as the module is loaded.

/etc/modutils/aliases is used to setup /etc/modules.conf.

> I am guessing it is ok since on boot up it says
> "Soundblaster found ok" and "AWE found ok" and "opl13
> found ok" and cat /dev/sndstat shows the devices.

Sounds good. Do you have a "silent film" driver installed as well? ;-)

ciao,

der.hans
--
# http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/ http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
# Stell dir vor, es ist Krieg und keiner geht hin...