A question about your future use of Linux

Author: Derek Neighbors
Subject: A question about your future use of Linux
> One of the big complaints about Linux is that it's still too difficult for
> the "average Joe" to use. Each day it seems like Linux makes a huge

My wife (who is far from techie) uses GNU\Linux regularly to read email,
surf web and read pdf documents and has never had an 'coaching' from me.
She used to be a windows user.

> number of improvements in many areas, and it's quite possible that "Linux"
> (which of course is a rather vague term as I'm using it and really
> encompasses much more software than just the kernel) will eventually

This is why you should call it GNU/Linux. :)

> become easy enough for Grandma to use and will also have all the driver
> support, etc., that it needs to be quickly setup without any hassles.
> It's also possible that the administration of Linux will become almost
> brainless with Wizards to accomplish any task.

I think this is in MANY ways a FUD tactic. Of all the NON computer folks
that I have contact with (a lot), not ONE of them has ever INSTALLED
windows. It came installed from the OEM. I think simplifying a GNU/Linux
is important because OEMs dont pre install it like they do for windows,
but to say that GNU/Linux is somehow inferior because of install process
seeems silly when there is not something tangible to compare it to, ie
there arent lay people installing Windows.

> > So my question to those on this list is, will you still find it
> interesting to use Linux? Or will all the challenge and glory of the good
> ol' days be gone, enough so that you move on to something else? Or do you
> just use Linux because of the freedom involved?

Speaking for myself alone, its purely about freedom. I like the benefits
of a more stable system and powerful tools, but I dont think most people
use GNU/Linux cause its more 'geeky'. In fact, if anything I hate the
fact that it has this stigmatism. Unlike windows its designed to be all
things to all people in sense if I want hardcore workhorse, I dont have to
install a gui etc and can run bare bones lean mean fighting machine. If I
am a hard core gamer I can figure that way as well. If Im an artist I can
make it all purdy and customize virtually every aspect of appearance. If
I am an plain jane office user I can make it look just like windows and
have just the facts ma'am. :)

-Derek