Re: Clementine music player, or something better?

+ (text/html)
Author: Victor Odhner
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Clementine music player, or something better?
Thanks, All. I had written off VLC because I thought of it as a video player. Now learning how to drive it, and to save playlists with it.

Stephen/Brian, I haven’t found how to avoid streaming, but haven’t given it much time. VLC does definitely have a very to-the-point style and it will be useful in more than one way.

Michael, (a) I don’t know how I froze up Rhythmbox but it was very repeatable and I’m not alone in this. But the deal-breaker was that Rhythbox is stuck in streaming mode, and we want the play to stop at the end of each song. (Clementine streams until it finishes the one song flagged to stop at end, then it drops the flag and we set the next flag.) (b) I don’t see where the squeeze approach fits. I’m playing songs to sing in a church, one song at a time, and incidental music at various times. Our desktop wired through a mixer board along with instruments and microphones for live music. The computer also plays video programming segments via

I also might try theatrical software, that sounds more like what I’m doing as far as the purpose is concerned. But at the moment we’re OK with Clementine and I’m testing VLC against it.

Thanks again,
Victor