Re: Clementine music player, or something better?

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Clementine music player, or something better?
I'm using Rhythmbox, and never had it lock on me. If I did, it's usually a
sound device handling issue, but that's more a pulse issue than it. That's
been a long while.

I started using Banshee, which is imho a better clone of Rhythmbox, but far
more buggy. It does some nicer things like showing you band wiki's, but
otherwise I tend to like the UI better in general, when it works. Why I'm
using Rhythmbox again currently...

I don't really do "playlists", I just have a filer subdirectory of various
sorted formats of music, and these do a good job of indexing and searching
based on whatever id3 tag data. If rhythmbox is being weird, try banshee.
If Banshee is weird, try rhythmbox. If both are being weird, try vlc.

Another option I've used you might consider is my logitech media server
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Media_Server> as my catalog and
player on my filer, that I use with various squeeze player setups around my
house already with a squeeze client receiver on my desktop too making it an
endpoint to play out to. It's normally meant as a home room audio
distribution ala sonos and various commercial setups, but open, and uses
either compatible hardware or software players with a nice web UI or tons
of phone apps available for control you might like.

You can install the receiver client (server too even) on your desktop, and
use a browser to play playlists from a webpage or phone app playlists or an
indexed catalog. This comes with the benefit you can duplicate/sync your
music in other rooms, or the whole house where you have players connected
to your network. My pioneer living room receiver with ethernet shows up as
an endpoint to play music to even in the lms server (volume control even!),
otherwise I have a bunch of obsolete android phones with a squeeze client
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.bluegaspode.squeezeplayer>
around my house powering various speakers in rooms that do audio, or some
raspberry pi's, but a desktop receiver client works on linux and I presume
windoze too.

It has good playlist support to trigger across any number of linked
receivers if you use them I hear (my buddy is a reformed apple person
duplicated my setup, but does playlists).

HTH!

-mb