Re: What is the actual bandwith you could use, continuously,…

+ (text/html)
Author: Eric Oyen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: What is the actual bandwith you could use, continuously, given your ISP's bandwith usage cap?
I believe I did some recent calculations along those lines.

btw, a standard video stream (1080p) uses just under 750 KB/s and if left on 24/7 would exceed that cap about 22 days into the month. Now, most people don't do that. In fact, the estimated tv viewing per week is about 30 hours or so for a standard family of 4. given that, someone could watch their programming, do some games, browse the net, etc and not exceed that cap (barely).

However, if you are like me and the room mates here, you use a hell of a lot more than that. I checked the usage stats on the router and the last 30 days saw 1.75 TB of data go through our connection here. good thing I went to business class internet (my sales contact at cox business is Jame Hidalgo at 623-500-3341).

Anyway, given usage caps, residential service is going to start getting restrictive.

-eric
from the central offices of the Technomage Guild, Internet Sales and Customer Retention Dept.