Re: What is the actual bandwith you could use, continuously,…

Author: Matthew Crews
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: What is the actual bandwith you could use, continuously, given your ISP's bandwith usage cap?

>Yes, my wonderful 30Mbs max is actually only a 385KB link, if I want to use it all the time.

Ironically, a 30Mbps connection is 3.75MBps (megabits vs megabytes), so its not AS bad as you expect. Cox is pretty "generous" in that regard compared to other ISPs such as Comcast (thankfully Comcast doesn't operate in the Phoenix area). And Cox won't outright stop your internet usage at that point, they will just charge you more (unlike, again, Comcast, at least historically). Where they really rip you off is the higher speed plans of 100MBPs and 300MBPs, where they do not increase your download caps.

Mobile ISPs on the other hand allow you to burn your entire allotment in only a few minutes if you let them. Assuming that 4G speeds are ~30Mbps (~3.75MBps), and you have a download cap of 4GB, you can burn thru that in about 18 minutes under ideal conditions. Depending on your mobile ISP, they might outright throttle you to dialup speeds, or charge you more.