What is the actual bandwith you could use, continuously, giv…

+ (text/html)
Author: Carruth, Rusty
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: What is the actual bandwith you could use, continuously, given your ISP's bandwith usage cap?
Here is the rabbit trail – has anyone else calculated the actual bandwidth you could use (continuously) from your ISP and NOT hit their usage cap? Yeah, that deserves a different topic, and here it is.

Ok, under my plan at Cox, I think I get threatened with extra charges when I reach 1TB of data downloaded. (If your number is different, then use that number below).

So, that’s 1,000,000,000,000 bytes of data per month I’m allowed to download. Sounds like a lot, right? Nope:

1GB/month / 60 seconds/minute / 60 minutes/hour / 24 hours/day / 30 days/month = 385,802 bytes per second!

Yes, my wonderful 30Mbs max is actually only a 385KB link, if I want to use it all the time.

Balderdash! (Whatever that means).