Re: seeking 4k curved monitor recommendation

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: seeking 4k curved monitor recommendation
Something to consider with text display on a "TV" is to turn off most of
the movement enhancing functions.

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 1:08 PM, der.hans <> wrote:

> [...]
>> definitely NOT recommend LG TVs (or higher-end TVs) for use as a monitor.
>>
>> The reason is … the fancier TVs have logic in them to “optimize” the
>> picture and reduce flicker and artifacts and other weird stuff.
>>
>> That is to say, they make motion videos (both HD and 4K) look AWESOME at
>> 4K resolution. But computer monitors are anything BUT “motion videos”.
>>
>> Besides that, this thing has so many frigging settings on it that it took
>> me several sessions drilling through multiple settings and testing stuff
>> before I got it to look halfway decent.
>>
>> Just locking it in 4:4:4 mode is amazingly convoluted.
>>
>> The screen on this LG is sharp as hell at 4K, but the colors are funky,
>> and I’ve spent way too much time trying to fix them.
>>
>> My suggestion is simple: go to Costco and buy the cheapest 4K 55” (or
>> smaller if you prefer) TV that they have. I think it’s something like TLC
>> brand with built-in Roku for around $425.
>>
>> Try it out and if you don’t like it, take it back.
>>
>> The Samsung 6300 is highly rated as a monitor as well, but I think it’s
>> no longer being sold.
>>
>> Do NOT get an LG TV for use as a monitor. However, if you want to watch
>> movies on it in your living room, then it’s an EXCELLENT choice.
>>
>> FWIW, there are 4K monitors now that are 27” and smaller. I might have
>> been able to see them 15 years ago, but when your eyes start to “age-out”,
>> it’s a lost cause.
>>
>> I *LOVE* the real estate that a 4K display offers, and having the
>> equivalent of 4 x 27” HD screens on one panel is perfect for my eyes today.
>>
>> Yes, the edges are a few inches further away than the center, but my
>> eyesight is fine for anything more than about 4’ away. So a curved screen
>> would be of no particular benefit to me.
>>
>> (Think of your typical desktop — do you need it to be curved to have
>> stuff spread out? No! You simply grab what you need and pull it in front of
>> you.)
>>
>> -David Schwartz
>>

>> On Nov 14, 2017, at 2:11 PM, der.hans <> wrote:
>>>
>>> moin moin,
>>>
>>> I'm considering a wide, curved 4k monitor.
>>>
>>> I'll be connecting to an HDMI port.
>>>
>>> I'm currently using a 4k TV with text display issues. It was the best
>>> option at the time, but my eyes really, really want a better text
>>> display.
>>> I'm also finding that a wide flat display is less than ideal, hence the
>>> desire for curved.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations for specific monitors? Places of acquisition?
>>>
>>> I normally ignore black Friday sales, but this year many of them appear
>>> be black November sales. That works better for me, if I'm going to change
>>> I need to do so before Thanksgiving as that's when silly season hits full
>>> swing for $dayjob.
>>>
>>> ciao,
>>>
>>> der.hans
>>> --
>>> # https://u2206659.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?upn=3cK2FVJjyu2N-2
>>> Bxco034fZlgnY3Qqo-2F2jpZMcEFdaMRk-3D_6lpMB7VLnN-2Fj9-
>>> 2FEErg8-2F-2BMBpb5QxlByTgv2M3fbWD9ebvC-2BWrN3h7jImK8EVWYBev8
>>> pol2lp97MhB2XxPtS3lqDYbelbhlR-2FmOCBHa4vYrr6iFLdlswv42-2FQPa
>>> gLPd2TmSDYuioo9ltm3EG4ntzGBSFjYzXfz-2B04lazPf0HBxkV8QbHugIDL
>>> 3AJlkEXdDbULpc87F2RWU0QshSy3XCR0NIRhegqVP48WqPIt9k33IQE-3D
>>> https://u2206659.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?upn=3cK2FVJjyu2N-
>>> 2Bxco034fZvyXOaHZaOPKonXjRTvkCnc-3D_6lpMB7VLnN-2Fj9-2FEErg8-
>>> 2F-2BMBpb5QxlByTgv2M3fbWD9ebvC-2BWrN3h7jImK8EVWYBev8pol2lp97
>>> MhB2XxPtS3ljXb343xoKfW8mIpL-2B8h6Ak7bztF-2FQD5JxDWt-2Bz2LOXN
>>> h6n-2FB8AJYgm8SiseLZxbaABkuYxcn3U7-2FEX0TNYRuo5R4-2BRA72xzp7
>>> 3pIJTbBB0lSSl9I8Jp8-2FDHqnb1Noy8Va731pXBPmfm4RL7cTMjGU4-3D
>>> # "Rock 'n' roll might not solve your problems, but it does let you
>>> dance
>>> # all over them." -- Pete Townsend
>>> RLWfQTKYiRLVzunonVk948p8WIzMe-2FXlJ9Cta8w8U9xoku9LrUSHNMJbSd
>>> 3ZEwH-2BqnW2UHlA-3D-3D_6lpMB7VLnN-2Fj9-2FEErg8-2F-2BMBpb5Qxl
>>> ByTgv2M3fbWD9ebvC-2BWrN3h7jImK8EVWYBev8pol2lp97MhB2XxPtS3ltb
>>> ZbcZmO4QtWZ0Et6u09BYNwPNbFpafhvLghDsc8Qb79dOGe1-2BpfLZSdVC8z
>>> vLlEGjR4-2Fz6RyVbpOKIAvv3P1vrtTZaoyyZYevQH-
>>> 2FizUnatqW5EUriGFYqIuf-2BkZZLZf0vXfDgnTTQEY8QxlRjTxzc-3D
>>>

> --
> # https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
> # "Eternal vigilance is not only the price of liberty;
> # eternal vigilance is the price of human decency." -- Aldous Huxley, 1965

Stephen