Re: seeking 4k curved monitor recommendation

Author: Brian Cluff
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: seeking 4k curved monitor recommendation
On 11/15/2017 12:23 PM, Michael Butash wrote:
> The only downside I've found is the displays don't dpms power-down, so
> they'll go into screensaver mode and stay on until you power them
> off.  Which in turn triggers pretty much every linux desktop to freak
> out and do weird things when it loses all of its displays, so most
> time I just leave them on with their screensaver.  Last time I ran
> into someone with an actual samsung 30" 4k "monitor", it did the same
> thing, so caveat emptor.

When I initially got my 50in display, I found that I had to leave it on
all the time to avoid the system freaking out, but that hasn't been the
case for over a year.  I now setthe  GPU to shut off the display which
doesn't actually shut off the display, but I have the TV set to shut off
after a certain amount of time with no input.
I do have to turn it on my hand whenever I want to use the computer, but
it's quick to power up and really hasn't been a big deal ever since they
fixed the issues with the system freaking out because of a lack of displays.

There is also the possibility to use a USB to CEC adapter to shut down
and wake up your TV.
https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter
I picked one of them up and got it to turn on and off the TV from a
script, but I haven't been able to locate how to hook it into the power
management properly to get things automated.

Brian Cluff