Re: IPcop hardware questions

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: IPcop hardware questions
On Dec 26, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:

> I'm reviving an old thread because I _finally_ got to use IPCop at
> work, and
> immediately ran into a problem. I know more about Linux than I do about
> networking...
> Background: We have Cox cable and a static IP address. We have a
> Linksys
> router. Got an 8-port switch for the 5 boxes in the LAN running
> WinXP-Home. I
> have enabled Static and disabled DHCP in IPCop. That's correct, right?
> Following the diagram below, we lose internet access for the five
> boxes on
> the LAN. IPCop has internet access (it wants to update itself), but
> the boxes
> in the LAN don't.

I don't know anything about IPcop but it sounds like the setup you had
was a single router with a static address that was doing address
translation for 5 boxes. You don't tell us how those five boxes were
getting their address. Were they getting them via DHCP from the router?
If so, IPcop needs to be configured to get it's address dynamically
from the router, since it is behind it, and to had out dynamic address
to the boxes in turn.

Alternatively if the boxes had static addresses, they must have been in
one of the reserved ranges for private networks: 10.0.0.1 through
10.255.255.254; 172.16.0.1 through 172.31.255.254 or 192.168.0.1
through 192.168.255.254. In my experience, most routers only support
one of these ranges and you need to rely on the documentation or trial
and error to discover which one. Don't assume that IPcop matches the
Linksys. If you want to go static, you have to set the IPcop to an
address the Linksys, supports and then set your boxes to address that
IPcop supports.

I note that back in November Alan thought that both Linksys and IPcop
are in the 192.x range, but I'd check that. he also seems to think you
have a dynamic IP from Cox but you say you have a static IP adress.
---
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a
proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and
oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us.
-Paul Valery, poet and philosopher (1871-1945)