Re: IPcop hardware questions

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: IPcop hardware questions
I'm reviving an old thread because I _finally_ got to use IPCop at work, and
immediately ran into a problem. I know more about Linux than I do about
networking...
Background: We have Cox cable and a static IP address. We have a Linksys
router. Got an 8-port switch for the 5 boxes in the LAN running WinXP-Home. I
have enabled Static and disabled DHCP in IPCop. That's correct, right?
Following the diagram below, we lose internet access for the five boxes on
the LAN. IPCop has internet access (it wants to update itself), but the boxes
in the LAN don't.

I ran ifconfig and it seems to detect both NICs for Red and Green.

On Monday 22 November 2004 04:07 pm, Alan Dayley kindly wrote:
> > We also have a Linksys router and Cox cable modem. Not sure if we still
> > need the router or not, with the IPcop box acting as firewall and
> > gateway. Is it redundant? Will it cause conflicts?
>
> The Linksys router is "redundant" but it should not cause conflicts. It
> gives you another layer of address translation if you want to leave it in
> place. With it in place you end up with the following, using example IP
> addresses:
>
> ISP<---->cable modem<--[dynamic IP]-->Linksys router
> <--[192.168.1.1]---[192.168.1.2]-->IPCop Red<-->
> IPCop Green<--[192.168.0.1]-->switch<--Other computers...
>
> (Ugly picture but I hope you can follow it.)
>
> IPCop Red can plug straight into the cable modem, eliminating the router
> and then the IPCop Red would have the dynamic IP from your ISP. Either
> way, it works.
>
> Alan

Now I've read on a help forum that IPCop should be the FIRST device connected
to the Internet, not the router. That would be different from the diagram
above. Does anybody have any advice? I feel like an idiot...

Siri Amrit