Re: IPcop hardware questions

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: IPcop hardware questions
On Dec 26, 2004, at 9:40 PM, Alan Dayley wrote:

> Digression: Each IP of a subnet must get it's IP either by static
> assignment
> or DHCP. Static assignment means that a person must configure the
> computer
> to have that IP address and must be aware of what the IPs are so as to
> not
> assign the same IP to more than one computer. DHCP means that one of
> the
> computers on the subnet is the server and it hands out IP numbers to
> the
> other computers on the subnet when they ask for them.

I suppose it's time to ask the fundamental question: What does another
layer of NAT get you? When this discussion started, I assumed that Siri
was doing some kind of serving simply because he was paying a premium
for a static address. I also assumed that IPCop was a port
forwarding/packet sniffing firewall that he needed because he had some
open ports through his firewall to facilitate netmeeting or some such.

As the discussion has proceeded, it sounds like IPCop is doing NAT
behind a Linksys that is also doing NAT and that neither has any open
ports. If this is correct, I don't see the point. Can someone outline a
scenario where a second level of NAT provides meaningful additional
protection?

BTW I'm also behind two levels of NAT, but only because my DSL modem
and my wireless A/P have built in routers.
--
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary
depends upon his not understanding it.