Re: IPcop hardware questions

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: IPcop hardware questions
On Sunday 26 December 2004 10:59 am, Chris Gehlker kindly wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> > I'm reviving an old thread because I _finally_ got to use IPCop at
> > work, and
> > immediately ran into a problem. I know more about Linux than I do about
> > networking...
> > Background: We have Cox cable and a static IP address. We have a
> > Linksys
> > router. Got an 8-port switch for the 5 boxes in the LAN running
> > WinXP-Home. I
> > have enabled Static and disabled DHCP in IPCop. That's correct, right?
> > Following the diagram below, we lose internet access for the five
> > boxes on
> > the LAN. IPCop has internet access (it wants to update itself), but
> > the boxes
> > in the LAN don't.
>
> I don't know anything about IPcop but it sounds like the setup you had
> was a single router with a static address that was doing address
> translation for 5 boxes.

Yes, I believe you're right.

> You don't tell us how those five boxes were
> getting their address. Were they getting them via DHCP from the router?

I don't know; I don't know anything about how networking works. I think they
are assigned specific addresses from within the reserved range of 192.x. (see
following comment below)

> If so, IPcop needs to be configured to get it's address dynamically
> from the router, since it is behind it, and to had out dynamic address
> to the boxes in turn.
>
> Alternatively if the boxes had static addresses, they must have been in
> one of the reserved ranges for private networks: 10.0.0.1 through
> 10.255.255.254; 172.16.0.1 through 172.31.255.254 or 192.168.0.1
> through 192.168.255.254. In my experience, most routers only support
> one of these ranges and you need to rely on the documentation or trial
> and error to discover which one. Don't assume that IPcop matches the
> Linksys. If you want to go static, you have to set the IPcop to an
> address the Linksys, supports and then set your boxes to address that
> IPcop supports.

Both the Linksys and the IPCop are in the 192.168.x range. I did set the IPCop
to a fixed address within the range that the Linksys supports, different from
the router address itself.

> I note that back in November Alan thought that both Linksys and IPcop
> are in the 192.x range, but I'd check that. he also seems to think you
> have a dynamic IP from Cox but you say you have a static IP adress.

I "think" we have a static IP address from Cox. Looking at the printout of our
specs from Cox it looks that way, and my boss says we do, too, -he says we're
not using DHCP. Neither of us know much about networking. I'll try to post
some additional information tomorrow from work, if I can.

Thanks for your help.

Siri Amrit