Re: Unable to SSH into Server

+ (text/html)
Author: Arun Khan via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Arun Khan
Subject: Re: Unable to SSH into Server
On Mon, Oct 21, 2024 at 7:24 PM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a little stuck.
>
> I am trying to configure a user that will allow me to log into an Ubuntu
> 24.04lts server via SSH.
>
> I created a line : "AllowUsers default" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
> Then sudo systemctl restart ssh
>
> Try to login and get "client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe"
>
> sudo tail /var/log/faillog returns nothing.
>
> I can SSH into the server from my Kubuntu desktop under the default user
> created during server o/s install
>
> A search says it is probably a network issue. Does not make sense given
> I can SSH in using another user.
>
> Any thoughts are much appreciated.
>
> Keith

Is "default" the second username you created?

Per the man page for sshd_config, this line "AllowUsers default" in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config should list each user (space separated) that is
allowed to login via ssh.

Try to compare the output for the two users using:

ssh -vvv <user>@<machine>

--
Arun Khan