Re: Unable to SSH into Server

+ (text/html)
Author: Rusty Carruth via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Rusty Carruth
Subject: Re: Unable to SSH into Server
'for fun' I pasted the text of your email in to chatgpt, it had some
interesting advice:

*Verify User Exists*:  - probably not your problem.

*Check User's Shell*: Ensure that the user "default" has a valid shell.
You can check the user's entry in |/etc/passwd|
|Good suggestion, imho, but you did imply you'd logged in as the user,
so this is also (probably) a red herring.|
*Home Directory*: Ensure the user "default" has a home directory.
*SSH Key/Password*: If you're trying to log in using SSH keys, ensure
that the public key is correctly placed in
|/home/default/.ssh/authorized_keys| and that the permissions are set
correctly
- since you've not logged in via SSH, this is probably also a herring.
However, the suggestion: If you’re using password authentication, make
sure the user has a password set Might be helpful.
I'm skipping firewall suggestion.
*Log Files*: Since |/var/log/faillog| is empty, also check
|/var/log/auth.log| for any messages related to SSH login attempts
- very good idea.
Three's more, but I'm guessing the log files are the most likely place
to start, after the suggestions everyone else gave.