Re: Unable to SSH into Server

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Stephen Partington
Subject: Re: Unable to SSH into Server
The sshd pam setting is the one you want to make sure works because that
appears to link sshd access to valid system users for ssh access.

This is a link to my bog stock login. and any user I create (as a system
user) can access via SSH. except for root. but root cannot even log in at
this point.

Ubuntu Stock sshdconfig
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VadPv7RzeJZQca89aTi5yIJ5F76V49_gkJ_vGgZCt9U>

On Tue, Oct 22, 2024 at 2:32 AM Rusty Carruth via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> 'for fun' I pasted the text of your email in to chatgpt, it had some
> interesting advice:
>
> *Verify User Exists*: - probably not your problem.
>
> *Check User's Shell*: Ensure that the user "default" has a valid shell. You can check the user's entry in /etc/passwd
> Good suggestion, imho, but you did imply you'd logged in as the user, so this is also (probably) a red herring.
> *Home Directory*: Ensure the user "default" has a home directory.
> *SSH Key/Password*: If you're trying to log in using SSH keys, ensure that the public key is correctly placed in /home/default/.ssh/authorized_keys and that the permissions are set correctly
> - since you've not logged in via SSH, this is probably also a herring.
> However, the suggestion: If you’re using password authentication, make sure the user has a password set Might be helpful.
> I'm skipping firewall suggestion.
> *Log Files*: Since /var/log/faillog is empty, also check /var/log/auth.log for any messages related to SSH login attempts
> - very good idea.
> Three's more, but I'm guessing the log files are the most likely place to start, after the suggestions everyone else gave.
>
> On 10/21/24 23:22, Rusty Carruth via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>
> The other questions are all great, but can you ssh from the server to
> itself as the desired user? That is, ssh theSSHdude@localhost , which
> should hopefully rule out network issues ;-)
>
> I'll also mention that I had a weird issue with SSH where I could ssh from
> machine A to machine B, but not from B to A! THAT turned out to be a
> netmask issue! And ChatGPT ALMOST got the answer. You could try your
> favorite AI to see if it can help, but be sure to give it more info than
> you think you should - I should have given it the output of ifconfig on
> both computers and it probably would have caught it....
>
> On 10/21/24 18:46, Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am a little stuck.
>
> I am trying to configure a user that will allow me to log into an Ubuntu
> 24.04lts server via SSH.
>
> I created a line : "AllowUsers default" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
> Then sudo systemctl restart ssh
>
> Try to login and get "client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe"
>
> sudo tail /var/log/faillog returns nothing.
>
> I can SSH into the server from my Kubuntu desktop under the default user
> created during server o/s install
>
> A search says it is probably a network issue. Does not make sense given I
> can SSH in using another user.
>
> Any thoughts are much appreciated.
>
> Keith

Stephen