Re: AZ Developer Wages, per Feds

+ (text/html)
Author: Ryan Petris via PLUG-discuss
To: PLUG-discuss, trent shipley
CC: Ryan Petris
Subject: Re: AZ Developer Wages, per Feds
As a software developer of 15 years, I personally would not want a union, at least not one in a traditional sense. Additionally, I've never been in a union so maybe my understanding is wrong or outdated, however my reasoning for not wanting one are:
1. I want my salary/benefits to be based on what I personally can bring to the table.
2. Similarly to #1, if I and/or my team perform better than the rest of the company, I want us to be recognized for that *and* compensated appropriately.
3. I don't want to start at the bottom of the totem pole at a new company because I'm the new guy.
4. I don't want to work with people that should have been let go due to their performance but are effectively being protected by the union.
5. I don't want to be forced to strike because the union is playing political games that I don't care about.
There's a time and place for unions; when you're in the top 10% of national salaries, you're not in a position to need one.

All that said, I work remotely, for a company that's not based in Arizona, and therefore am paid relatively well compared to the local Market.