Re: Looking for opinions on email providers

+ (text/html)
Author: Rusty Carruth via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Rusty Carruth
Subject: Re: Looking for opinions on email providers

On 1/28/24 22:14, Steven via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> Apparently I am late to hearing this, but in the near future Cox will
> have Yahoo take over handling all "cox.net" email accounts. I've
> occasionally in the past looked at email providers but never felt much
> need to move. But as long as this is going to be happening anyway I
> figure it's time to look again. Does anyone have a preferred email
> provider? I made use of Cox formerly offering up to six email accounts
> on a single residential plan to set up an account for my sister, this
> account, and a couple others. Are there reasonably trustworthy
> providers that don't scan all your emails in order to push ads on you
> and that don't don't cost an arm and a leg?

Ok, here's my situation.  I have my own domain(s), descomp.com being one
of them.  For a VERY long time I ran my email from my domain on my home
computer - on DIALUP! On a dynamic-ip line!  It worked great.

However, progress overtook me, and I finally ended up getting a VPS,
(also I'm planning on a web site or two, so that figures in a bit too).
I ran my email from my virtual machine for MANY years.

Progress happens again, and I suddenly (like, last week?) could no
longer SEND emails because I wasn't either DKIM or whatever the other
thing is.  I'd had the problem with blacklisted addresses before, and
had even changed my VPS service due to that.

Well, long story short, once I decided to quit fighting the system and
decided to PAY for a stupid eMail provider, I spent a lot of time
researching.  Here's my table:

Who     monthly/mbox     yearly/mbox     storage/box     Out-the-door
Dreamhost     $1.99     $1.67     25G     $8.35
A2Hosting     $1.59
    10G     $7.95

    $2.59
    30G     $12.95     Other differences between the 2 plans.
Zoho
    $1.00     5G     $5.00

    $1.25     10G     $6.25

    $0.00     5G     $0.00     single domain, max 5 users.

Namebright     Out, due to non-responsive support and problems with their
‘features’

scalahosting
    $0.50     5G     $4.95     50G shared, max 10 users, 1 domain. Price is $4.95
per PLAN, not per USER

    $0.12     2G     $5.95     100G shared, max 50 users, 5 domains. Price is
$3.95/mo for 3 years.
hostinger     $1.59
    10G     $7.95     Where my web host is running.

My Domains are registered with Namebright, and I *REALLY* liked the *
user feature in their email system, but I couldn't get it to work and
they didn't answer my requests for help.

So I ended up with scalahosting.  I pay like $5/month for up to 50
users, 5 domains, and 100G shared storage.  They also guarantee that
your email won't be blocked due to spammers using their servers.  I had
a little issue getting the (non DKIM-thing) set up, but it wasn't much
of an issue, just getting my DNS provider to accept the right TXT
record.  So this email is coming to you from descomp.com hosted at
scalahosting, I've had it for more than a week, and so far so good :-)
(and I'm not paying $3.95/mo, I bought the 3 year plan up front...)

I've also got a free Zoho (I think) account I'm playing with too, but
I've spent  no real time on it.