Re: Looking for opinions on email providers

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: Looking for opinions on email providers
David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss said on Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:58:35 -0700

>I’d suggest getting a domain from somewhere and adding-on a cheap
>hosting plan like cPanel that includes email for as many mailboxes as
>you’ll need. Or if you have a spare domain you want to use that’s
>already hosted, that might do the trick.

Pre-cisely! Nothing says "amateur" like a mailing address from gmail,
yahoo, or my-isp.net.

As far as not costing "an arm and a leg", nobody charges an arm and a
leg unless you consider $20/month an arm and a leg. If you have any
business or employment interests, your own email address is a dirt
cheap way of showing professionalism. Plus the fact that switching
providers doesn't change your email address: I've had my email address
since 1996, during which time I've switched ISPs 4 or 5 times.

There's one exception to the preceding two paragraphs. If you're a
professional domain name buyer, you want an address like
in order to imply that you're an amateur and
don't have big plans for the domain. That way maybe the seller will let
it go cheaper than if you were .

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21