The end of programming (not the replacement of programmers)

+ (text/html)
Author: trent shipley via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: trent shipley
Subject: The end of programming (not the replacement of programmers)
*Pointy haired manager to programmer:* We are thinking of replacing
programming with AI.

*Programmer:* Don't you mean you plan to replace programmers with AI.

*PHM:* No, replace programming itself.

*P:* How? Why?

*PHM: * Well, the Big, Poorly Understood AI produces really good results
without actually writing code.

*P:* Go on...

*PHM:* Plus it's cheap and really, really prolific and efficient.

*P:* Sure, but its quality is awful!!

*PHM:* So is the quality of your software, all software, really.

*P.* Yeah, but the AI's quality is MUCH worse!

*PHM:* Yes, but the AI is so affordable, efficient, and prolific, that the
wrongful death lawsuits will be just a cost of doing business, and we'll
still come out ahead according to the actuaries.