Re: Consultants ...

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Re: Consultants ...
I have not done any freelance work in a long time... maybe 10 years. At
that point I was charging $75 an hour. Most who contacted me wanted to
pay me much less. I was at capacity at $75/hr in 2008. Today I would
charge over $125/hr. I am a PHP developer.

I have a friend who owns a data center and provides hosting services.
For Linux admin and programming he charges $130 an hour.

Made friends with a freelance WordPress developer and he told me he
charges $250/hr.

There are a lot of factors that go into choosing a rate. Sometimes it
is just nice to take on a few side projects for cheep to retire debt
etc.

When I started freelancing in 2008 I decided $75/hr was reasonable
because of the haste factor.

I wrote an article about this several years ago :
https://www.phpprogrammer.org/freelance-php-developer-hourly-rate

One key point is you need to factor in you administrative time as a cost
of doing business.

I'd be interested in any feedback on my article.

Keith