Consultants ...

+ (text/html)
Author: Snyder, Alexander J via PLUG-discuss
To: PLUG Distro
CC: Snyder, Alexander J
Subject: Consultants ...
To all those who have done contracted technology consulting ... what do you
charge?

I've been doing work on the side for a local HVAC company, largely
technology administration stuff ... simple stuff ... setup website hosting,
DNS, setup laptops when they need ... nothing terribly hard or time
consuming.

Recently I've grown frustrated with all the manual steps involved with
setting up a new user account ... Google/M365/LastPass/Adobe ... so I
decided to dig in for a bit and enable domain federation (SAML/SSO) on them.

To my utter delight, it worked and was fast easier to set up than I
initially thought.

Now, when i create a new account in Google, an account will be
automatically provisioned in both LastPass and M365, hooray! In going to
queen on the same for Adobe DC later today.

My question is ... what do I charge for this? What's reasonable? I'm
already fairly technically inclined, so it wasn't that difficult for me to
read the instructions and follow along ... but there was a fair bit of
PowerShell scripting required on the M365 part, as that work could only be
done with PowerShell using the AzureAD & MSOnline modules.

I appreciate your input, as this level of work for a customer is a first
for me.

Thanks,
Alexander

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S22+