Re: Questions : switching back to Linux for my desktop

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: Questions : switching back to Linux for my desktop
Thomas Scott via PLUG-discuss said on Wed, 26 Oct 2022 12:15:59 -0400

>Seriously though, that's not why I'm here. I don't think what DE/WM
>you use, or whether you use systemd, init, or have your own set of
>scripts that are written in assembly and COBOL, it's not the point.

With regard to the WM/DE, I agree, because you can swap it out for any
other WM/DE you want, unless you're using Redhat. Systemd is a
different animal, because between the applications with systemd
dependencies (often set by the distro, but still), replacing systemd
with sysvinit, s3, runit, OpenRC, Busybox Init, or your set of scripts
written in Cobol is extremely difficult. As opposed to the list in the
preceding sentence, any of which can easily be replaced by any other.

[snip]

>I got into Linux because it was about choice, it was about what worked
>for me
>and my needs,

Your preceding sentence is *precisely* why I use init systems other
than systemd: It was about choice, and the ability to change my mind
later without changing distros or recompiling everything.

> and not what the corporate overlords have deemed
>or what I could afford.

The preceding clause is also very apropos. Corporate overlords. My
contention, which can neither be proved or disproved, is that
complexity is inserted by corporate overlords to impede competition and
raise their prices.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Red_Hat_contributions details, among
other things, the overwhelming representation of Redhat developers in
all aspects of the Gnome project. Redhat pays full time salaries to
developers maintaining and further entangling systemd. Is Redhat doing
it for the love of the sport? Let's listen to former Redhat CEO Brian
Stevens describe Redhat's business model, long before systemd was a
thing:

http://asay.blogspot.com/2006/10/interview-with-red-hat-cto-brian.html

In the preceding link, search the word "complexity" and read that
paragraph and the next. Might Redhat have a money motive to
complexify Linux? Keep in mind that systemd is currently 1.3 million
lines of code, whereas the Runit init system has between 40K and 50K
lines of code, was created by one person.

> I had crappy hardware, I wanted to learn about
>computers, and Linux was my solution, and the freedom it provided
>and the doors it opened started me down a path that has provided
>jobs and now a career. That's the freedom I was looking for.

The preceding sentence was exactly how I got into Linux.

>Now *gasp* I run MacOS - even though I could have run Ubuntu or Arch,
>because so many of my tools just worked and needed less config.

Exactly. And the Linux world didn't end because you went to MacOS. Any
more than it would end by people staying with Windows.

One more thing. LXDE, LXQt, Xfce, and a host of others are easier and
more intuitive than Gnome, because they have hierarchical menus and
everything's visible out in the open. So the "we're doing it for the
newbies argument doesn't hold water.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Summer 2022 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times