Re: Reliable ISP?

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash, Joe Neglia
Subject: Re: Reliable ISP?
You want to watch your power levels up and down, plus your SNR as critical
indicators. What the levels should be is described well for any docsis
network online, I mostly forget moving to DSL years ago when cocks started
charging for overuse of bandwidth. Both are stable for me, but my house
was built in '95 in Peoria, and fairly new as things go.

Cox has tools that polls your power/snr as well, monkey support probably
doesn't know or have access, but actual cable techs do, and if you pay for
business, you should get to a real tech that can see this. If it's
dropping entirely, it's probably for cable levels, ie weather, rain, or
just our extreme heat over time causes conditions such as "suck-out" of the
feeder wire in coax, the big copper wire down the middle, that eventually
expands/contracts to be too short in the path to your house. This is
entirely common in AZ, and entirely fixable if a tech isn't lazy, but this
would happen every 3-4 years for me on cox to have to roll a tech here, and
luckily I know the buttons to push to make it usually a short and sweet
call.

I mention MTR as a tool, as cox has periodically gone to hell with peering
capacity one of their monkeys didn't stay atop of, and they get saturation
out of LA more than they do in Phoenix where they hand off internet. If
you're business services, they tend to egress out Phoenix, but isn't nearly
the capacity of LA, Dallas, or other major peering points they use for
residential traffic. I can see the latency at peering points rise and tell
when they're hozed usually with packet drops at that one hop in an mtr. I
used to call my buddy that worked backbone at cox and yell at him,
typically he knew already, but confirmed and eventually fixed with
augmentation adding more 100gbps links. Lately I've seen the same in
Centurylink's network where latency goes to hell at their peering in
evenings when everyone is watching netflix, so same thing, but happens to
all the ISP's eventually these days.

-mb

On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 1:42 PM Joe Neglia via PLUG-discuss <