Re: I was wondering....

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: I was wondering....
Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Sun, 17 Oct 2021 07:16:56 -0700

>About 5 years ago I needed a Windows box for business. I took an old
>i5 which had 16G of RAM and added a !T Samsung SSD. It was pricy. I
>recalling spending $300 for that SSD. Well worth it. It came with a
>5 year warrantee. I expect it might last at least 10 years or more.
>
>SSDs are a lot cheaper now.
>
>All of my boxes run SSD except my wife's computer. It is painful to
>boot her computer.

For anyone needing too much disk space to afford an all SSD machine,
you can do what I do. My root partition is SSD (actually NVMe), so that
/usr, /usr/bin, /etc and the like come straight off electronics. I
mount /home and other data-centric, changing pieces, including /var and
/run, from spinning rust partitions. My /tmp is a temp file system
(tempfs).

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt