Re: I was wondering....

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: I was wondering....
Underprovisioning? Maybe a new concept for me, not dealt with this - do
tell.

Most times I do my normal mdraid(1)/luks/lvm/ext4 stack atop flash disks,
and with samsungs not lost a disk, but otherwise blew up crucial, adata,
and at least one more I've forgotten along the way. I still don't run or
use trim to this day, and not really felt pain for it with samsung. My
current full-time desktop isn't raid1 with only a toshiba m.2 1tb flash
disk in it, and after 5 or so years can't complain it's still kicking...
Even with just luks/lvm (no mdraid) and no trim, it hasn't killed it, so
hoping they adopted like tech to Samsung to stave off the suck.

I got a few samsung 980pro m.2's for my desktop to rebuild, and as soon as
I care enough to figure out zfs encryption and booting on that thing I'll
probably switch back to it. The two prior 860pro's are still solid in that
thing though using it more as a server than a desktop for heavy
virtualization.

-mb

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 9:26 PM Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss <